Celebrity Trainer Jillian Michaels Body Shames Lizzo And It’s Not OK

“Cause it isn’t gonna be awesome if she gets diabetes.”

Jillian Michaels slammed CrossFit last year because ignorance blinded her from seeing how beneficial it actually is, but I was willing to let it go. Her latest dig, this time aimed at one of the greatest newcomers in music, is the final straw.

Michaels appeared on BuzzFeed News‘ “AM to DM” this week. When asked about Lizzo’s figure, Michaels questioned why the world is celebrating her curves.

“Why are we celebrating (Lizzo’s) body?,” she asked.

“Why does it matter? Why aren’t we celebrating her music?,” Michaels said. “‘Cause it isn’t gonna be awesome if she gets diabetes.”

Michaels affirmed she’s still a fan of the “Good As Hell” singer.

“I love her music. My kid loves her music,” she said. “But there’s never a moment where I’m like, ‘And I’m so glad that she’s overweight.’ “

Michaels received a wave of backlash for her comments. She posted a statement on social media:

“As I’ve stated repeatedly, we are all beautiful, worthy, and equally deserving,” she wrote.

“I also feel strongly that we love ourselves enough to acknowledge there are serious health consequences that come with obesity — heart disease, diabetes, cancer to name only a few.”She added “I would never wish these for ANYONE and I would hope we prioritize our health because we LOVE ourselves and our bodies.”

Last month, social commentator Dr. Boyce Watkins said Lizzo is so popular in the US because of the country’s obesity epidemic.

“Rather than encouraging people to do better, we are simply lying to them and telling them that they are just fine the way they are,” Watkins tweeted. “Unfortunately, Many of these people are dying from diabetes and heart disease.”

Lizzo clapped back.

“I’m popular because I write good songs and I’m talented and perform high energy hour and a half shows filled with love. The only person who needs to do better is you,” she tweeted. “Keep my name out ya mouth & look in the mirror before you come for me. Here’s the attention you ordered.”

Michaels has a point, but her delivery sucks. It’s important everyone strives to be their best selves both mentally and physically; your body is a temple and it’s the only you get. However, instead of Michaels body shaming Lizzo’s weight, she could have used the opportunity to suggest ways in which Lizzo could maintain her body-positive message while also working towards a goal.

Thoughts on Michaels’ comments? Let us know what you think in the comments. Register an account in 30 seconds and use your voice!

[adinserter block="14"]

Related Articles

Responses

1. You definitely do, because this whole post doesn’t make any sense. This woman, Jillian Michaels, who I just found out about, has a point, it makes sense, and obviously comes from a place of love (take care of your HEALTH, not only your self-esteem). Her delivery of the message was impeccable. This is NOT body-shaming, because we’re not talking about whether Lizzo looks good or not (she’s actually gorgeous and looks amazing in those outfits) but her health is at risk RIGHT NOW, and this is science not personal opinion.
      Besides, the media doesn’t follow these overweight artists throughout their personal journeys. Take Missy Elliott for example: she’s always been overweight, and she did that fantastic video (“Supa Dupa Fly”), which looks great and she was praised for it, but years later she did go to the doctor to loose weight. Then there’s the actress Melissa McCarthy (I LOOOOVE her!!), who briefly said once in an interview that she had to control her weight because she WAS NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATHE and that scared her. And there are so many more examples like these.
      The thing is, Lizzo is at the top of the way right now, so everything looks perfect, but I would like to know what happens some years from now. And if the media covers it, or even if Lizzo is open about it.

1. Oh and ADELE? She always looked amazing and was praised for her looks, yet she’s losing weight right now. Losing weight is not easy and takes a lot of internal motivation, and that can only come when you have a real and important reason to make such a change.

2. And that other commentator is right, Lizzo is praised right now because half America is overweight, you cannot overlook that. AND who are the rest of her fans? Lean, muscular gay guys. Like you, Jordan. So you guys aren’t personally affected by her weight, basically because you don’t care about it on a personal level, you simply cannot relate.

3. OH AND (I’m sorry but this topic is serious) her reply was soooo juvenile! Once thing is being “that bitch” and another completely different thing is to be deaf and blind and ARROGANT and disrespectful and reply like an stubborn child. Being vulnerable and make mistakes and OWN UP TO THEM is also being strong and empowered. As long as you take care of them so you can move on to the next awesome thing in your life.

1. This is right where society confuses me:

Jillian Michaels is a strong, tough woman and she tells it like it is. If Lizzo was a nobody and we were watching them on tv, it would be giving her the reality check we would All agree “this poor woman” needs to change her life
    As a trainer, I can just see – she is classified, clinically, as morbidly obese. But it’s got nothing to do with laziness- its trauma and pain and the way she treats herself. Lizzo, of course is going to respond defensively. But she will die due to obesity or a disease caused from it, that’s how health works. But she’s a celebrity and they get treated differently. On the street, we treat obese people like garbage.

On the other hand, why does society keep telling us to sit around and eat? All our advances in technology, these fad diets, these quick workouts – are bandaids or just making being lazy not just okay – but expected.

In regards to crossfit, I think it’s incredible but most people shouldnt be doing it. Jillian was trying to protect the safety of the general deconditioned population. It’s a wonderfully brutal sport.

Jillian wasnt tactful, BUT Lizzo heard. And Lizzo’s response tells us where she’s at in taking care of her self.

2. Jordan you’re definitely holding a grudge, LMAO. I don’t blame you, when someone comes after something you love, it’s definitely triggering. But this definitely isn’t body shaming. If Jillian Michaels came for Lizzo’s career and said she’s a whale, and it’s gross, that would be body shaming. What I took from Jillian’s (in my opinion, very gracious) response to a question that’s unfortunate to have to answer was simple. She’s a fan of Lizzo, so are her kids. She’s discouraged that people in our Country aren’t glorifying Lizzo for simply her talent and her art, but rather for ownership of her size and weight. I feel for someone in the health industry to make that comment is perfectly appropriate.

The problem isn’t Lizzo. The problem is American culture. We are literally so guided by social media moments. I mean, all things considered, Lizzo being supported for owning her weight is encouraging. I remember In the early 2000’s when artists like Christina Aguilera and Kelly Clarkson gained even a slight few pounds, they were chastised for it. It’s encouraging that artists like Meghan Trainor, Adele and Lizzo (to name a few) have all flourished at any size. Talent has risen above image. That’s major growth. That all being said, we still have a problem on either side of the argument, and we’ve got a long way to go.

I don’t think someone like Jillian Michaels is the root of the problem.

3. She’s right though. It was uncalled for for her to publicly address Lizzo’s body, but what she said isn’t wrong and isn’t coming from a place of negativity or discrimination. We’re all glad Lizzo is confident in herself, but her body isn’t healthy and is likely to come along with a *lot* of negative health side effects over the long-term.

It’s great to make everyone feel confident and worthy, but it’s gone to the extreme where some people use it to stay in denial and stay unhealthy. You can be confident at any size, but you should be aware of the health effects you could have on yourself if you’re not striving for health and fitness. Working on health and fitness carry over beneficially into so many other aspects of your life too.

4. Ok… this is NOT fat shaming. Fat shaming would be saying something extremely derogatory. Everything she said was true. I’ve never watched a lizzo concert, but I’ve watched a few of her performances, and she’s definitely out of breath by the end of one song, and it’s not like she’s dancing the way Britney, Beyonce or J.Lo do. Lizzo deserves to feel confident, beautiful and love herself, but she also needs to admit she’s unhealthy and in terms of her body, not something to aspire too. She IS at a higher risk for diabetes, heart disease and many other ailments. Also the interviewer is the one who brought up Lizzo’s body.

It will be interesting to see what happens when she inevitably signs a deal with weight watchers or some other weight loss company to see how her fans react. It may take a few years, but once she’s not at the top of the charts and she wants that money… I’m sure it will happen.

5. I agree with the points everyone else has been making – this is not body shaming. She didn’t say anything negative about Lizzo and her body – she even pointed out that it was ridiculous that they were discussing her body and that her appear is celebrated instead of her artistry. It seems she is actually more concerned for Lizzo & her health then anything.

But then again, this is breatheheavy – where articles are written just to pit celebrities against each other and stir controversy. So what else is new?

1. “But then again, this is breatheheavy – where articles are written just to pit celebrities against each other and stir controversy. So what else is new?”

Ugh.